Monday, April 29, 2013

 Winter is probably the most limiting in lure selection of the seasonal patterns. Water temperatures drop down to freezing and the bass' metabolism slows as well. Because of this, bass won't move far or expend much effort to feed. Slow-moving baits and slow lures work best. The standard lure selection for this time of year would be a jig with either a pork or plastic trailer. The new soft plastics will work in cold water. Texas-rigged worms and jigging spoons would be my second choice. Traditional colors for jigs are black/blue, black/chartreuse and brown, for worms, black/blue, green pumpkin or watermelon.
   

2 comments:

  1. Would you suggest live bait? I've have been using it a lot lately but no dice... Or should I say no fish!? Anyway, what kind of rod do you have? I just got sponsored, so I have been using an unreleased 715 model. It catches Bass like no other. Happy Fishing!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the advice B-Man!!! I'll make sure to figure out the water temperature before I plan a trip. Thanks for the info! Great Blog too!!

    ReplyDelete